Re: How to analyze load average ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: How to analyze load average ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 08:06:05PM +0300, Condor wrote:
> I think load avg is high because before I change the servers my
> produce server
> was on 16 cpu, 24 gb memory and load avg on that server was 0.24.
> Database is the same,

Our monitoring system starts worrying about the load average if it ever
goes above 0.75*number of cores. In your example it looks a bit like
you paid for 15 more cores than necessary.

Especially at the lower end you have to take the load with a large
grain of salt.  Lots of short running processes (like a make run) while
make the load fluctuate.  But even things like it taking a while for
your disk cache to reach steady state after a reboot can mean that you
see a higher than normal load for a while.

But 0.88 is really nothing to worry about. Perhaps it is just slower
core or a slower memory bus.

Have a nice day,
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
   -- Arthur Schopenhauer

Attachment