Dump EXTENSION sequences too - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gianni Ciolli
Subject Dump EXTENSION sequences too
Date
Re: Dump EXTENSION sequences too  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

currently an EXTENSION can mark some of its tables as "configuration
tables" using pg_catalog.pg_extension_config_dump(), so that pg_dump
"does the right thing".

I think it would be useful to mark sequences too, but unfortunately it
is not possible; hence, each time a dump is reloaded, all the
sequences in the extension are reset to 1, causing all the related
problems.

Moreover, the error message that we get if we try to mark a sequence
does not mention the requirement that the relation is a table. The
"OID %u does not refer to a table" error message seems to be wrongly
restricted to the case when get_rel_name can't find a relation.

Is there any objection to the above proposal? I did a little search of
the archives, but I couldn't find any related discussions; I apologise
if I missed something.

Thanks,
Dr. Gianni Ciolli - 2ndQuadrant Italia
gianni.ciolli@2ndquadrant.it | www.2ndquadrant.it