Re: pg_upgrade --logfile option documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_upgrade --logfile option documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 08:33:48PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> OK, it seems people do care about keeping log files from multiple runs
> so I went with Tom's idea and have:
>
>     -----------------------------------------------------------------
>       pg_upgrade run on Thu Mar  8 19:30:12 2012
>     -----------------------------------------------------------------
>
>     Performing Consistency Checks
>     -----------------------------
>
> Updated patch attached.
>
> FYI, in retain mode, these are the files left in the current directory:
>
>     delete_old_cluster.sh
>     pg_upgrade_dump_all.sql
>     pg_upgrade_dump_db.sql
>     pg_upgrade_dump_globals.sql
>     pg_upgrade_internal.log
>     pg_upgrade_restore.log
>     pg_upgrade_server.log
>     pg_upgrade_utility.log
>
> I will address the idea of using /tmp in another email.

OK, attached pg_upgrade patch applied, with this list of improvements in
logging:

        add ability to control permissions of created files
        have psql echo its queries for easier debugging
        output four separate log files, and delete them on success
        add -r/--retain option to keep log files after success
        make log files append-only
        remove -g/-G/-l logging options
        sugggest tailing appropriate log file on failure
        enhance -v/--verbose behavior

Thanks for all the feedback.

Attachment