Re: Fixing the loss of 'template1' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Fixing the loss of 'template1'
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:19:51 am Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-03-07 at 09:38 -0500, Gary Chambers wrote:
> > Martin,
> >
> > > 6) The next scheduled backup using pg_dumpall failed immediately
> > > because it couldn't find 'template1'.
> >
> > The template1 database is the default database to which pg_dumpall
> > attempts to connect.  If you use the -l or --database option, you can
> > change that and pg_dumpall will resume functioning as you expect.
>
> I've just logged in under postgres and run '\l' - and the databases
> postgres, template0 and template1 are still there:
>
> postgres=# \l
>                                   List of databases
>    Name    |  Owner   | Encoding |   Collate   |    Ctype    |   Access
> privileges
> -----------+----------+----------+-------------+-------------+-------------
> ---------- postgres  | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>  template0 | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
> =c/postgres          +
>
> postgres=CTc/postgres
>  template1 | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
> postgres=CTc/postgres+
>
> =c/postgres
>
> So, is this a privilege issue? I don't understand the content of that
> somewhat cryptic 'privilege' column. Is it set how you'd expect?

The privilege code can be found below, look towards bottom of page:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/sql-grant.html

The privileges look alright, same as mine.

So what user are you trying to restore the pg_dumpall data as?
What is the exact error message you get?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com