Re: on insert rule with default value - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ron Peterson
Subject Re: on insert rule with default value
Date
List pgsql-sql
2012-02-21_15:51:30-0500 Ron Peterson <rpeterso@mtholyoke.edu>:
> My rule below does not insert the the same uuid value into the test_log
> table as is created in the test table when I insert a new value.  I know
> I've worked through this before, but I'm not remembering why this is.
> What's a right way to do this?

Obviously I can use a trigger function.  I'm mostly wondering if there
are any tricks to accomplishing this with rules (I like the simple
syntax).  I suspect the problem here is that 'new' on insert refers to
the function used to calculate the new value, /not/ the new value that
is actually inserted into the table.  There are probably reasons for
that; but it would seem nicer to refer to the actual new table value
rather than the expression used to calculate it.  My 2c.

-Ron-