Re: Progress on fast path sorting, btree index creation time - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Progress on fast path sorting, btree index creation time
Date
Re: Progress on fast path sorting, btree index creation time  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 10:17:36AM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > IMO this patch is already well past the point of diminishing returns in
> > value-per-byte-added.  I'd like to see it trimmed back to provide a fast
> > path for just single-column int4/int8/float4/float8 sorts.  The other
> > cases aren't going to offer enough of a win to justify the code space.
>
> I'm curious about how much we're gaining from the single-column
> specializations vs. the type-specific specializations.  I think I'm
> going to go try to characterize that.

Yes, please.  That would be a big help.   Is there no optimization for
strings?  I assume they are sorted a lot.

We can alway add more data types later.

http://enterprisedb.com