Re: Postgresql allow connections without password - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Postgresql allow connections without password
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:16:04 pm debian nick wrote:
> I have postgresql 8.4.9 installed now, my problem is that from time to time
> my postgresql let psql version 8.4.9 access the database without asking for
> password (psql -d mydatabase -h myhost -U myuser), and the connection
> attempts from psql 8.3 are not allowed no matter what i got time out
> exceptions from psql 8.3.
> The first time that happen to my i have installed postgresql 8.3, so i
> think that because i upgrade my system and not postgres (i upgrade from
> debian lenny (5) to squeeze (6)) that was the problem, so i installed 8.4.9
> and with pg_dumpall i restore all my databases. And the problem was solved.
> Postgresql ask for passwords no matter from where i try to connect.
> And now a month later i have the same problem with 8.4.9. After various
> restart, stop and start the problem disappear, and 3 hours later it came
> back.
> I don't know what to do.
> In my logs the only strange thing i startup package incomplete after i
> start the server. I google it but nothing seems to explain it, and i don't
> have any cron.
>
> Now im going to install postgresql 9 to see if the problem disappear.

Well before you do that, take a look at your pg_hba.conf file. See if you have
any lines where the METHOD is 'trust'.  This allows a client to connect to
Postgres without a password. My guess is you have some connections that are
matching a 'trust' rule.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com