Re: pg_upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_upgrade
Date
List pgsql-performance
Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA) wrote:
> > You mean moving tablespaces?  That isn't something pg_upgrade deals
> > with.  If we need docs to move tablespaces, it is a missing piece of
> > our
> > main docs, not something pg_upgrade would ever mention.
>
> If I'm reading the issue correctly, and pg_upgrade gets part way through
> an upgrade then fails if it hits a tablespace - it seems to me like
> the pg_upgrade should check for such a condition at the initial
> validation stage not proceed if found.

Checking for all such cases would make pg_upgrade huge and unusable.  If
you messed up your configuration, pg_upgrade can't check for every such
case.  There are thosands of ways people can mess up their configuration.

I think you should read up on how pg_upgrade attempts to be minimal:

    http://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2011.html#June_15_2011_2

On a related note, Magnus is working on code for Postgres 9.2 that would
allow for easier moving of tablespaces.