Grant privs on entire database, not table-by-table-by-table - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From James Long
Subject Grant privs on entire database, not table-by-table-by-table
Date
List pgsql-novice
Under a normal role, I am the owner of a database.

CREATE DATABASE buddy_db WITH TEMPLATE = template0 ENCODING = 'SQL_ASCII';

ALTER DATABASE buddy_db OWNER TO james;

As superuser, I have granted all privs on that database to
another role:

$ psql -U pgsql buddy_db
Welcome to psql 8.3.15, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

buddy_db=# grant all on database buddy_db to buddy;
GRANT
buddy_db=#

But now when I use that role to connect to that database, I don't
have privs:

$ psql -U buddy buddy_db
Welcome to psql 8.3.15, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

buddy_db=> \d
              List of relations
 Schema |        Name         | Type  | Owner
--------+---------------------+-------+-------
 public | colors              | table | james
 public | shapes              | table | james
 public | sounds              | table | james
(3 rows)

buddy_db=> select sum(1) from sounds;
ERROR:  permission denied for relation sounds
buddy_db=>

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Jim