Re: how could duplicate pkey exist in psql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: how could duplicate pkey exist in psql?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday, November 21, 2011 6:39:55 am Yan Chunlu wrote:
> got it.  thank you very much for you help.   I found out this problem too
> late, and there is no backup.
>
> luckily there was not too much data for this, and my app keeps running
> without error.
>
> I am not sure if they are related but I could not use pg_restore to import
> data dumped by "pg_dump -Fc";
>
> pg_restore will print some error message about "duplicate primary key", and
> the table is empty. no data has been imported.
>
> pg_restore supposed to import the data and ignore the errors.    does any
> one have the similar problem?

pg_restore may ignore the error and keep on going but the database will not. In
other words when pg_restore receives the error it will continue on to the next
item (unless you have the -e switch on). As far as the server(database) is
concerned duplicate primary key is still an error and the data will not be
loaded.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com