How to find freak UTF-8 character? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Leif Biberg Kristensen
Subject How to find freak UTF-8 character?
Date
Re: How to find freak UTF-8 character?  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
List pgsql-general
I've somehow introduced a spurious UTF-8 character in my database. When I try
to export to an application that requires LATIN1 encoding, my export script
bombs out with this message:

psycopg2.DataError: character 0xe2808e of encoding "UTF8" has no equivalent in
"LATIN1"

I figure that it should be easy to find the offending character in the database
by doing a SELECT * FROM foo WHERE bar like '%\0xe2808e%' or something like
that, but I can't find the correct syntax, I can't find a relevant section in
the manual, and I can't figure out how to google this problem.

regards, Leif