Re: pg_upgrade - add config directory setting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_upgrade - add config directory setting
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Yeah.  I think the only sensible way to do this would be to provide an
> >> operating mode for the postgres executable that would just parse the
> >> config file and spit out requested values.
>
> > That would certainly solve the problem, though it would have to be
> > backpatched all the way back to 8.4, and it would require pg_upgrade
> > users to be on newer minor versions of Postgres.
>
> I would just say "no" to people who expect this to work against older
> versions of Postgres.  I think it's sufficient if we get this into HEAD
> so that it will work in the future.

Well, it is going to work in the future only when the _old_ version is
9.2+.  Specifically, pg_upgrade using the flag could be patched to just
9.2, but the flag has to be supported on old and new backends for that
to work.

http://enterprisedb.com