Re: Re: memory barriers (was: Yes, WaitLatch is vulnerable to weak-memory-ordering bugs) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Re: memory barriers (was: Yes, WaitLatch is vulnerable to weak-memory-ordering bugs)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 04:22:09PM +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> So you have two memory fetches which I guess I still imagine have to
> be initiated in the right order but they're both in flight at the same
> time. I have no idea how the memory controller works and I could
> easily imagine either one grabbing the value before the other.

That's easy. If one is in cache and the other isn't then the results
will come back out of order.

> I'm not even clear how other processors can reasonably avoid this. It
> must be fantastically expensive to keep track of which branch
> predictions depended on which registers and which memory fetches the
> value of those registers depended on. And then it would have  to
> somehow inform the memory controller of those old memory fetches that
> this new memory fetch is dependent on and have it ensure that the
> fetches are read the right order?

I think memory accesses are also fantastically expensive, so it's worth
some effort to optimise that.

I found the Linux kernel document on this topic quite readable. I think
the main lesson here is that processors track data dependancies (other
than the Alpha apparently), but not control dependancies.  So in the
example, the value of i is dependant on num_items, but not via any
calculation.  IThat control dependancies are not tracked makes some
sense, since branches depend on flags bit, and just about any
calculation changes the flag bits, but most of the time these changes
are not used.

It also not a question of the knowing the address either, since the
first load, if any, will be *q->items, irrespective of the precise
value of num_items.  This address may be calculated long in advance.

Have a nice day,