Re: md5 of table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karsten Hilbert
Subject Re: md5 of table
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 11:47:24AM +0300, Sim Zacks wrote:

> Is there a way to get an md5 or other hash of an entire table?
>
> I want to be able to easily compare 2 tables in different databases.
>
> I thought about using dblink and the EXCEPT query, but then I need to
> know the field list of each query result, which is a pain in the
> butt.
>
> If I could return an md5 of the entire table, then I could check if
> the tables have the same hash and be confident enough that the tables
> were identical.

One option might be to pg_dump in an appropriate format and
md5-compare the output ?

Another option might be to

- cross-check columns/column types
    - query from information_schema
- compare row counts
    - may need a lock
- compare table sizes
    - may need vaccum ?

If all three match that may be good enough ?

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346