Re: overload - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From lists-pgsql@useunix.net
Subject Re: overload
Date
List pgsql-sql
I'm have the same situation with large tables.  Take a look at using a
cursor to fetch several thousand rows at a time.  I presume what's
happening is that perl is attempting to create a massive list/array in
memory.  If you use a cursor the list should only contain X number of
rows where X in the number specified at each fetch execution.  You'll
need to define the cursor inside a transaction block.

- begin transaction
- define the cursor
- fetch rows from cursor
- while row count from previous step > 0, execute previous step
- terminate transaction

Or you could use plpgsql instead of plperl, FOR loops over result sets in
plpgsql implicitly use cursors... it's just a little less code.

Hope that helps,
Wayne