Re: Creating new remote branch in git? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Creating new remote branch in git?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Uh, I think someone needs to add this to our wiki:
>
> I did.

I saw your commit that mentioned how to create a new branch.  My problem
was with using workdir:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Committing_with_Git#Committing_Using_a_Single_Clone_and_multiple_workdirs

I had to use:
       pggit config branch.REL9_1_STABLE.remote origin       pggit config branch.REL9_1_STABLE.merge
refs/heads/REL9_1_STABLE

or I get errors like this during 'pull':
$ git-new-workdir postgresql/.git/ 8.2Checking out files: 100% (3851/3851), done.
$ cd 8.2
$ git checkout -b REL8_2_STABLE origin/REL8_2_STABLEChecking out files: 100% (3908/3908), done.error: Not tracking:
ambiguousinformation for ref refs/remotes/origin/REL8_2_STABLESwitched to a new branch 'REL8_2_STABLE'

$ git pullYou asked me to pull without telling me which branch youwant to merge with, and 'branch.REL8_2_STABLE.merge'
inyourconfiguration file does not tell me, either. Pleasespecify which branch you want to use on the command line
andtryagain (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').See git-pull(1) for details.If you often merge with the same
branch,you may want touse something like the following in your configuration file:    [branch "REL8_2_STABLE"]
git-config(1)for details.

(Is that "error: Not tracking: ambiguous information" error harmless?)

Once I execute this:
$  git config branch.REL8_2_STABLE.remote origin$  git config branch.REL8_2_STABLE.merge refs/heads/REL8_2_STABLE

'pull' then works:
$ git pullAlready up-to-date.

So my point is I don't think we document the need to either update
.git/config or run those commands.  The pull error message suggests
updating .git/config, but ideally we should tell users how to set this
up.

Editing the config file was mentioned in this email thread:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-06/msg00860.php

http://enterprisedb.com