Re: Domains versus polymorphic functions, redux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: Domains versus polymorphic functions, redux
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 11:22:34AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> > No, there's no need to do that.  The domain "is" an array, not merely something
> > that can be coerced to an array.  Therefore, it can be chosen as the polymorphic
> > type directly.  Indeed, all released versions do this.
>
> Well, as Bill Clinton once said, "it depends on what the meaning of
> the word 'is' is".  I think of array types in PostgreSQL as meaning
> "the types whose monikers end in a pair of square brackets".  We don't
> in general have the ability to create a type that behaves "like"
> another type.  In particular, you can't create a user-defined type
> that "is" an array in the same way that a domain-over-array "is" an
> array.  If we had some kind of type interface facility that might be
> possible, but we don't.

Early on in this thread, one of the users of domains-over-array-type
mentioned that he really didn't want to use them that way, he'd be
perfectly happy with array-over-domain: i.e.: mydomain[]. How does that
impact all this at the rhetorical level under discussion?

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm@rice.edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166