Re: How can I check the treatment of bug fixes? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: How can I check the treatment of bug fixes?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Friday, May 27, 2011 20:39:26 Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> writes:
> >>
> >> It might be useful, in this situation, for the OP to add this patch to
> >> the CommitFest application.
> >>
> >> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/open
> >>
> >> Also, I think it's about time we got ourselves some kind of bug
> >> tracker.
> >
> > [ shrug... ]  I think the main problem is a lack of committer cycles.
> > If so, the extra bureaucracy involved in managing a bug tracker will
> > make things worse, not better.
> >
> > However, if someone *else* wants to do the work of entering bugs into a
> > tracker and updating their status, far be it from me to stand in their
> > way.
> And who is to say only committers can fix bugs?  Actually commit the
> fixes themselves, yes.  Write the patches?  No.
If I see a bug in a region I know something about and its on a platform I care
about (i.e. likely only linux) I try to do this. But its hard, in most
situations one of you already did it. Tom and you are just to goddamn fast in
many, many cases. Which is totally great, don't get me wrong, but makes it
hard to beat you as a mere mortal ;)

Do you like separate patches for the back branches or is that basically
useless work?

Related to doing stuff like that is that I really find it hard to write a patch
that happens to be liked by Tom or you so it does not have to be mostly
rewritten. For that to change for one I would like to have the Coding Style to
be expanded because I think there are loads of rules that exist only in bits
and bits on the mailing lists. For another I would like to get a patch back
instead of rewritten because without knowing the individual reasons for the
changes its sometimes rather hard to know what the reason for a specific change
was. I do realize thats quite a bit of work for you which is why I hesitated
writing that...

Andres