Re: column type for pdf file - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: column type for pdf file
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 05:06:36PM -0600, Eric McKeeth wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Emi Lu <emilu@encs.concordia.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > To save pdf files into postgresql8.3, what is the best column type?
> >
> > bytea, blob, etc?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Emi
> >

> Everyone else has pointed out reasons for not doing this, and I agree with
> them that in the large majority of cases just storing a reference to a file
> stored outside the database is preferable. However, to answer the question
> you asked, my rule of thumb is that if you need to store binary data in the
> database is to use a bytea column, unless you need the random access
> capabilities that the large object interface provides. A bytea column is
> typically easier to use, and has proper transactional behavior, enforcement
> of referential integrity, etc.

I'm with Eric on this one: for smaller use cases, the convenience of bytea
in the db is nice. As to random access, I wrote a client-side wrapper
for our middleware that implements a file iterator interface for python
on top of substr(bytea,position,blocksize). I was sort of surprised at
how well it performed. We're using it in production right now.

I actually store files in a leaf table w/ and id and hash, with
filenames in a separate linking table, so I'm even getting data
deduplication (all the rage in biz these days) for free.

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm@rice.edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166