Re: [BUGS] BUG #6034: pg_upgrade fails when it should not. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #6034: pg_upgrade fails when it should not.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Sorry, I was unclear. ?The question is whether the case of _name_ of the
> > locale is significant, meaning can you have two locale names that differ
> > only by case and behave differently?
>
> That would seem surprising to me, but I really have no idea.
>
> There's the other direction, too: two locales that vary by something
> more than case, but still have identical behavior.  Maybe we just
> decide not to worry about that, but then why worry about this?

Well, if we remove the check then people could easily get broken
upgrades by upgrading to a server with a different locale.  A Google
search seems to indicate the locale names are case-sensitive so I am
thinking the problem is that the user didn't have exact locales, and
needs that to use pg_upgrade.

http://enterprisedb.com