Re: Do you recommend 8.4 or 9.0 for basic usage? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Do you recommend 8.4 or 9.0 for basic usage?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 12:32:48PM -0500, Josh Berkus wrote:
> MauMau,
>
> > Could you give me your frank opinions about which of 8.4 or 9.0
> > you recommend to ISVs who embed PostgreSQL?

> As an ISV, though, you need to devise a plan whereby you can apply
> update releases to your client's machines if they are connected to
> the internet.

You need such a plan whether the clients' machines are connected to
the internet or not because access control[1] is not the only place
where your system may turn out to have bugs.

The only case where you will not need such a plan is for a disposable
system, i.e. where the decision tree for "there's a bug" has one
branch, which is "replace the system."

Cheers,
David.

[1] Please try hard not to confuse access control with security.
Access control has been, is, and will continue to be used by attackers
to damage systems from ones as small as chat rooms all the way up to
governments and economies.

Remember to vote!