Re: the big picture for index-only scans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: the big picture for index-only scans
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> >> Any thoughts welcome. ?Incidentally, if anyone else feels like working
> >> on this, feel free to let me know and I'm happy to step away, from all
> >> of it or from whatever part someone else wants to tackle. ?I'm mostly
> >> working on this because it's something that I think we really need to
> >> get done, more than having a burning desire to be the one who does it.
> >
> > Indexonly scans are welcome!
> > I believe I can help on 3 and 4, but (really) not sure for 1 and 2.
>
> Well, I have code for #1, and just need reviews, and #2 shouldn't be
> that hard, and with luck I'll twist Bruce's arm into doing it (*waves
> to Bruce*).  So #3 and #4 are the next thing to tackle.  Any thoughts
> on what/how you'd like to contribute there?

I am happy to have pg_upgrade skip upgrading visibility map files --- it
already has code to conditionally process them because they only exist
in >= 8.4:
       /* fsm/vm files added in PG 8.4 */       if (GET_MAJOR_VERSION(old_cluster.major_version) >= 804)       {
  /*            * Copy/link any fsm and vm files, if they exist            */

Just give the word and it will be done.

http://enterprisedb.com