Re: "stored procedures" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: "stored procedures"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Peter,
>
> > I would like to collect some specs on this feature.  So does anyone have
> > links to documentation of existing implementations, or their own spec
> > writeup?  A lot of people appear to have a very clear idea of this
> > concept in their own head, so let's start collecting those.
>
> Delta between SPs and Functions for PostgreSQL:
>
> * SPs are executed using CALL or EXECUTE, and not SELECT.
>
> * SPs do not return a value
> ** optional: SPs *may* have OUT parameters.

[ Late reply.]

What is it about stored procedures that would require it not to return a
value or use CALL?  I am trying to understand what part of this is
"procedures" (doesn't return a values, we decided there isn't much value
for that syntax vs. functions), and anonymous transactions.

http://enterprisedb.com