Assessing performance of fetches - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From John Rouillard
Subject Assessing performance of fetches
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi all:

An application running against a postgres 8.4.5 database under CentOS
5.5 uses cursors (I think via SqlAlchemy). To look for database
performance issues I log any query that takes > 2 seconds to complete.

I am seeing:

  2011-04-16 00:55:33 UTC user@database(3516): LOG:  duration:
     371954.811 ms  statement: FETCH FORWARD 1 FROM c_2aaaaaaeea50_a08

While I obviously have a problem here, is there any way to log the
actual select associated with the cursor other than logging all
statements?

Also once I have the select statement, does the fact that is is
associated with a fetch/cursor change the steps I should take in
tuning it compared to somebody just issuing a normal select?

Thanks for any ideas.

--
                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111