Re: pgsql 9.0.1 table corruption - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Benjamin Smith
Subject Re: pgsql 9.0.1 table corruption
Date
List pgsql-general

On Friday, April 15, 2011 09:50:57 AM Tom Lane wrote:

> If you simply unpacked the tar archive and started a postmaster on that,

> you'd be pretty much guaranteed to get a corrupt database.  The tar

> archive is not a valid snapshot by itself --- you have to replay

> whatever WAL was generated during the archiving sequence in order to get

> to a consistent database state.

I have, more than once, "moved" a PG instance from one machine to another with the following sequence, without apparent issue. is there anything I'm missing and/or need to be concerned with?

1) service postgresql stop;

2) rsync -vaz /var/lib/pgsql root@newserver:/var/lib/pgsql;

3) ssh root@newserver;

4) (edit postgresql.conf, set IP addresses, memory, etc)

5) service postgresql start;

This is a "done at 10 PM on Friday night" kind of process.

-Ben
believed to be clean.