Re: Migrating Data Across Major Versions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Migrating Data Across Major Versions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday, April 15, 2011 7:10:00 am Shawn Gennaria wrote:

> Yes, it's running as a postgres superuser.  Unfortunately I didn't
> dump the output to a file so I could read it after it exceeds the
> terminal's buffer.
>
> It just dawned on me that I may have misinterpreted the messages.  I
> just took a look through the early parts of the file I'm using to
> restore everything and noticed that many of my stored functions
> contain references to other stored functions.  Naturally, one wouldn't
> be able to create a function unless all dependent referenced functions
> were created first.  It would be rather time-consuming to sort that
> out manually and re-add each function in the correct order.  Does
> anyone have experience working that out with some kind of tool?  Does
> postgres have anything built-in to help with this?

So do the schemas exist in the 9.0.3 database?
As you stated there are dependency issues but I have not seen that be a problem.
The error messages you saw are not unusual and are probably more of the
informative kind, not the fatal kind. I don't suppose you had logging turned on
in the 9.0.3 server when you did the restore?

> No modifications were made to the 8.4 cluster after I put the pgdata
> folder back in place.  All I did was quickly login with PgAdmin to
> verify that it wasn't completely empty and then I logged out.  I
> wasn't thorough about it and didn't even run a query.  I do have logs
> in my pgdata/pg_log folder from each day.  Would those help track down
> issues with getting the server to start, or are they only used once
> the server's already up?  I took a look through the recent ones, and
> the only thing that looks odd from that time period are repeating
> messages:

There some parts of the server start that may not make it into the logs but most
does, so yes they would be useful.

> FATAL: unrecognized configuration parameter "application_name"

Have you looked in postgresql.conf or pg_hba.conf to see if the above is there?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com