Re: Migrating Data Across Major Versions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Migrating Data Across Major Versions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday, April 15, 2011 5:25:51 am Shawn Gennaria wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the process of migrating our data from 8.4 to 9.0.3 on a
> different server, both running Ubuntu.  My initial attempt involved
> running pg_dumpall (from the 9.0.3 version) on the entire 8.4 cluster,
> putting all of the schemas, data and everything into one giant file.
> Jumping ahead, I attempted to restore that file to the 9.0.3 installed
> on the new server and it's still running now, but I noticed early on
> that it spat out error messages about schemas not existing.  Does the
> pg_dumpall know to create the schemas first, before it creates all the
> stored functions and tables?  Being that this is the recommended
> method from the docs, I'm confused why it would yield such errors.

What where the error mesages?
Did you do the restore as a Postgres superuser?
Do the schemas in fact exist in the 9.0.3 database?

> up with two files.  The reason I'm concerned now is because my
> original file containing everything was 208GB, but now my schema-only
> file is 2.9MB and my data-only file is 167GB.  Is this evidence that
> my data may have been corrupted due to the incomplete mv operation
> from before, or could there be some other explanation as to why the
> sizes are so different?

Have you done any normal work on the 8.4 database that could have caused the
amount of data to decrease i.e DELETE from ?
I guess some of this might be further explained by the clarification of the
issues you had restarting the 8.4 server.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com