Re: UUID can be written to row when passed as parameter/argument to a PL/pgSQL function. Feature or bug? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: UUID can be written to row when passed as parameter/argument to a PL/pgSQL function. Feature or bug?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:43:21 pm Basil Bourque wrote:
> If I pass the hex string representation of a UUID to a PL/pgSQL function as
> a varchar, that value cannot be used directly when writing to a row whose
> column data type is "uuid", in Postgres 9.0.x. Normally Postgres
> automatically converts a hex string to a 128-bit UUID value and back
> again.
>
> Is not doing so in a function a bug?

How about:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.uuid_write_(character varying)
 RETURNS boolean
 LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $function$

BEGIN
        INSERT INTO uuid_tbl_ ( uuid_col_ )
        VALUES ( $1::uuid );
        RETURN True;
END;

$function$

test(5432)aklaver=>select uuid_write_('34A94C40-453A-4A30-9404-128121E76570');
 uuid_write_
(1 row)

--
Adrian Klaver