Re: Auto Adjust Age - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Auto Adjust Age
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 10:53:49AM -0400, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> online that shows me how to do so. I've created a table called 'users'
> and I have it configured as follows:
>
> CREATE TABLE users
> (
>    id integer PRIMARY KEY UNIQUE NOT NULL, --ID
>    fname character varying(40) NOT NULL, --First name
>    lname character varying(40) NOT NULL, --Last name
>    email character varying NOT NULL, --email address
>    office integer NOT NULL, --Office number
>    dob date NOT NULL, --Date of birth
>    age integer NOT NULL --Age
> )
> ;
>
> Is there a way in SQL I can have the users 'age' be auto adjusted
> based on the 'id' & 'dob'?

Why do you have the age stored at all?  When you SELECT from the table
and want someone's age, just do

    SELECT [. . .], extract('years' from age(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,dob)) as age
           . . . FROM users . . .

By and large, it's not a good idea to store something you can
calculate from other data you have.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca