Re: Open issues for collations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Open issues for collations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 08:02:40PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> One thing I noticed but didn't push to committing is that the test case
> has a largely-unnecessary assumption about how the local system's locale
> names spell "utf8".  We could eliminate that by having it use the
> trimmed locale names created by initdb.  I would've made more of a push
> for that if it resulted in a test case that passed on OS X, but it turns
> out that once you get past the locale name spelling, you find out that
> Macs still can't sort UTF8 strings correctly :-(

Yeah, and I don't think it's likely they're ever going to fix it
either. :( On their own website they explain how to do locale based
sorting, and they provide their own interfaces for that which,
unsurprisingly, uses UTF-16 and ICU underneath.

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/CoreFoundation/Conceptual/CFLocales/Articles/CFLocaleConcepts.html

I think the rule that we sort the same as the command-line sort program
is still true however, so I don't think it's surprising as such. Just
unfortunate.

Have a nice day,