Re: pdf saving into DB vs. saving file location ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: pdf saving into DB vs. saving file location ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 04:05:44PM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:

> We store a WHOLE lot more binary data in our DBs than that.  The
> big advantage to us is that we store the data in TEXT fields, and
> use Slony to replicate it, so in the event of hardware failure, we
> don't have to worry about the DB looking for data that isn't on
> the file server.

Also, of course, you don't have to cope with keeping your filesystem's
and database's versions of the world in sync.  If you put the data in
the database, it follows the transaction rules of the rest of the
transaction.  If you put it on the filesystem, you have to manage that
yourself.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca