Re: pg_dump problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_dump problems
Date
List pgsql-general

On Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:57:35 am Martín Marqués wrote:

> Now I'm getting weirder things. I did a pg_dump with -d option and the

> dump adds strange caracters:

As previously stated try using the 8.4 version of pg_dump to dump the 8.3 database. FYI in 8.4+ there is no -d option anymore, it has become --inserts to reduce confusion with other commands where -d specified the database.

> ERROR: error de sintaxis en o cerca de «I»

> LÍNEA 1: I^NSERT INTO objeto_datos_rep VALUES (1172339, 387943, 'Wilde...

> Could it be binary corruption (pg_dump for example)?

> 2011/3/23 Vick Khera <vivek@khera.org>:

> > 2011/3/23 Martín Marqués <martin.marques@gmail.com>:

> >> The scenario is like this. I tried today to dump a DB from our

> >> production server to load on our development server and got some

> >> errors, which I show below.

> > Try using the pg_dump from the 8.4 install to create your dump file.

> I'll try this.

> > Also make sure your 8.3 installation doesn't have a non-default bytea

> > encoding setting (not sure when that setting was introduced, so there

> > may not even be such a setting).

> bytea has encoding? I thought it was plain binary data.

I think he was talking about bytea_output, which appeared in 9.0.

In any event you may want to verify that the encodings/locales for the two databases are the same.

--

Adrian Klaver

adrian.klaver@gmail.com