Re: primary key - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: primary key
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday, March 14, 2011 12:57:07 am Peter Evens wrote:
> hello,
>
> i have a question about the PRIMARY KEY,
> how can we let it start from for example 1000 instead of 1?
>
> This is our program:
> CREATE TABLE hy3_pack
> (
>  hy3_id serial NOT NULL,
>  hy3_serie_nummer text NOT NULL,
>  hy3_barcode text NOT NULL,
>  hy3_type_vulling text NOT NULL,
>  hy3_tarra_gewicht text,
>  hy3_artikel_id numeric NOT NULL,
>  hy3_refill boolean,
>  vernietigd boolean,
>  opmerking text,
>  CONSTRAINT hy3_pack_pkey PRIMARY KEY (hy3_id)
> )
> WITH (
>  OIDS=FALSE
> );
> ALTER TABLE hy3_pack OWNER TO postgres;
>
> what must i change in my program?

First do something like below to get the name of the sequence associated with
the serial type:

test(5432)aklaver=>\d serial_test
                         Table "public.serial_test"
 Column |  Type   |                        Modifiers
--------+---------+----------------------------------------------------------
 id     | integer | not null default nextval('serial_test_id_seq'::regclass)
 fld_1  | text    |

Then go here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/functions-sequence.html

and use one of the setval() functions to set the sequence start to 1000.

Note: This is assuming the table is empty and you will not have any id
collisions.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com