Re: updating all records of a table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: updating all records of a table
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 08:03:59PM -0700, Gauthier, Dave wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have to update all the records of a table.  I'm worried about what the table will look like in terms of
fragmentationwhen this is finished.  Is there some sort of table healing/reorg/rebuild measure I should take if I want
theresulting table to operate at optimal efficiency?  What about indexes, should I drop/recreate those?

Is it really important that it happen in one transaction?

In the past when I've had to do this on large numbers of rows, I
always tried to do it in batches.  You can run vacuums in between
groups, so that the table doesn't get too bloated.

Otherwise, yeah, you're better off to do some of the cleanup Joshua
suggested.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca