Displaying text appears as hex data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael
Subject Displaying text appears as hex data
Date
Re: Displaying text appears as hex data  (Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net>)
Re: Displaying text appears as hex data  (Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer@spamfence.net>)
List pgsql-general
Hello list,

I'm trying to view text data stored by OpenSIPS 1.6.4 (the latest)
as BLOB and PostgreSQL is displaying it in hex format like so:

$ TERM=vt100 /pfx/bin/psql opensips opensips
psql (9.0.2)
Type "help" for help.

opensips=> select * from sip_trace;
 id | time_stamp | callid | traced_user | msg | method | ...
 1234 | 2011-02-03 | ... | | \x494e56495445207369703a...

Others have said that when they use MySQL, the exact SQL command
as above results in ASCII text rather than hexadecimal, and this
is my goal as well.

How can I accomplish this in the easiest way?

Is there something in the PostgreSQL source tree
that I should change, for example hacking in:

    src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs

Thanks alot,
Michael