Cluster table and order information - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dario Beraldi
Subject Cluster table and order information
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

 From the documentation of CLUSTER table
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/sql-cluster.html) I
understand that clustering can be achieved by re-creating the table
like this:

CREATE TABLE newtable AS
     SELECT * FROM table ORDER BY columnlist;

My question is: If I upload with COPY a datafile which is already
correctly sorted, can I inform postgres of such order, so that no
clustering is necessary after the import? In other words, how can I
tell postgres that my file is order by this and that column?

Many thanks!

Dario

--

Dr. Dario Beraldi
Institute of Evolutionary Biology

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.