Re: Caution when removing git branches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Caution when removing git branches
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 01/26/2011 11:26 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > For those of you using git, I wanted to point out that it is fairly easy
> > to remove git branches.  For example, I can easily remove a branch on
> > my github repository using:
> >
> >     $ git branch -d :branch_name
> >
> > I don't believe that is revertable.  What is scarey is that this could
> > be done on our 'origin' as well.
> >

> The ability to remove branches is a feature. I strongly encourage you to
> create topic branches for development work, then merge them onto the
> main branch, and then delete them. I almost never work directly on, say,
> REL9_0_STABLE or master, except for quite trivial changes.

Yes, I did that for the contrib-links patch I posted to my github, and
it was easy, and nice to be able to post incremental diffs as I modified
things.  I have just deleted that branch locally and on github, which
was easy, and got me thinking about accidental deletion on the origin.

> I thought we had some hooks on gitmaster to help prevent accidents like
> inadvertent branch deletion.

That would be nice.

> I at least still keep rolling backups of the main repo. I'm sure I'm not
> alone.

OK, thanks.

http://enterprisedb.com