Re: Error code for "terminating connection due to conflict with recovery" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: Error code for "terminating connection due to conflict with recovery"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>> This whole thing is confused. No change is appropriate here at all.
>>>
>>> We issue ERRCODE_T_R_SERIALIZATION_FAILURE almost all of the time for
>>> recovery conflicts.
>>>
>>> We issue ERRCODE_ADMIN_SHUTDOWN only if the conflict is non-retryable,
>>> which occurs if someone drops the database that the user was connected
>>> to when they get kicked off. That code exists specifically to inform the
>>> user that they *cannot* reconnect. So pgpool should not be trying to
>>> trap that error and reconnect.
>>
>> CheckRecoveryConflictDeadlock() uses ERRCODE_QUERY_CANCELLED.
>> ProcessInterrupts() sometimes uses ERRCODE_T_R_SERIALIZATION_FAILURE
>> and sometimes uses ERRCODE_ADMIN_SHUTDOWN.  It seems to me that it
>> wouldn't be a bad thing to be a bit more consistent, and perhaps to
>> have dedicated error codes for recovery conflicts.  This bit strikes
>> me as particularly strange:
>>
>>                else if (RecoveryConflictPending && RecoveryConflictRetryable)
>>                {
>>                        pgstat_report_recovery_conflict(RecoveryConflictReason);
>>                        ereport(FATAL,
>>
>> (errcode(ERRCODE_T_R_SERIALIZATION_FAILURE),
>>                          errmsg("terminating connection due to
>> conflict with recovery"),
>>                                         errdetail_recovery_conflict()));
>>                }
>>                else if (RecoveryConflictPending)
>>                {
>>                        pgstat_report_recovery_conflict(RecoveryConflictReason);
>>                        ereport(FATAL,
>>                                        (errcode(ERRCODE_ADMIN_SHUTDOWN),
>>                          errmsg("terminating connection due to
>> conflict with recovery"),
>>                                         errdetail_recovery_conflict()));
>>                }
>>
>> That's the same error message at the same severity level with two
>> different SQLSTATEs depending on RecoveryConflictRetryable.  Seems a
>> bit cryptic.
>
> So what we do want to do about this?
>
> I'm pretty well convinced that we should NOT be issuing
> ERRCODE_ADMIN_SHUTDOWN for a recovery conflict, but that could be
> fixed by a trivial simplification of the code posted above, without
> introducing any new error code.

I agree with ERRCODE_ADMIN_SHUTDOWN should not be used for a recovery
conflict. And if your proposal does not need to introduce new error
code, I also agree with not inventing new error code.

> I'd also be in favor of changing the one that uses
> ERRCODE_QUERY_CANCELLED to use ERRCODE_T_R_SERIALIZATION_FAILURE, as
> the former might be taken to imply active user intervention, and for
> consistency.

+1.