Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_basebackup for streaming base backups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Magnus Hagander wrote:

> >> Those seem better.
> >>
> >> Tom, would those solve your concerns about it being clear which side
> >> they are on? Or do you think you'd still risk reading them as the
> >> sending side?
> >
> > It seems pg_create_backup would be the most natural because we already
> > have pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup.
>
> Uh, wow.  That's really mixing apples and oranges.

I read the description as:

+    You can also use the <xref linkend="app-pgbasebackup"> tool to take
+    the backup, instead of manually copying the files. This tool will take
+    care of the <function>pg_start_backup()</>, copy and
+    <function>pg_stop_backup()</> steps automatically, and transfers the
+    backup over a regular <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> connection
+    using the replication protocol, instead of requiring filesystem level
+    access.

so I thought, well it does pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup, and also
creates the data directory.

http://enterprisedb.com