Re: BUG #5784: CREATE INDEX USING GIN complains about array containing null values yet none exist - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: BUG #5784: CREATE INDEX USING GIN complains about array containing null values yet none exist
Date
In response to Re: BUG #5784: CREATE INDEX USING GIN complains about array containing null values yet none exist  (Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 05.12.2010 18:26, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Andres Freund<andres@anarazel.de>  writes:
> >
> >> Um I doubt it.
> >
> > [ gets out gdb... ]  Oh: the reason GIN is complaining is that it's just
> > looking at ARR_HASNULL(), and the array's has-nulls flag is still set
> > because we don't bother to try to clear it after replacing one element
> > of the array.  (Which in general would be an expensive thing to try to
> > do...)
> >
> > If we were intending to leave GIN in its current nulls-hating state,
> > the thing to do would be to replace the stupid ARR_HASNULL check with
> > something more intelligent.  But really it needs to be fixed to handle
> > nulls properly, so I'm thinking that might be a dead-end patch.
>
> Sounds like we'd still want to just replace ARR_HASNULL() with something
> more intelligent in back-branches though.

Added to TODO:

    Improve GIN's handling of NULL array values

        * http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2010-12/msg00032.php