Re: Role Membership - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Role Membership
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday 20 December 2010 11:46:29 am Carlos Mennens wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > No user, no group, they're al roles.  Roles are both / either.
>
> Ah now I understand. Thank you!
>
> > You grant them that:
> >
> > grant rolename to username;
> >
> > Then you only ever have to grant / revoke a role to change
> > permissions, no need to do a million grants all over the place on each
> > table.  Just grant it once to the role, grant the role to the user,
> > viola, you're done.
>
> OK I now understand:

Now I don't:) What you show is changing the ownership of an object. I thought
you where asking about how to add members to a role and the relationship
between 'users' and 'groups'? What Scott showed was a good start, but I would
suggest some more experimenting. ROLES are powerful but there is a learning
curve, especially when you start using SET ROLE and SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com