Fwd: Re: Postgresql 9.1 pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp limitations - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gabi Julien
Subject Fwd: Re: Postgresql 9.1 pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp limitations
Date
List pgsql-general

> >> We should return the timestamp of last valid checkpoint rather than NULL in that
> >> case?
> >
> > Well, I think this behavior would be more appreciated by postgresql users in general. The case where the slave can
berestarted after a clean shutdown is rare but we need to consider it nonetheless. In my case I implemented a custom
functionthat reads the last returned timestamp from a new file on disk. This is not a perfect solution since the value
returnedmight be older then the actual state of the replication but it's good enough for my needs.

> The second question is; What should be returned when the server has been
> started normally without recovery? NULL? The timestamp of last valid checkpoint?

NULL is fine is this server is not a hot standby.

> The third question is; What should be returned while replaying WAL records which
> exist between REDO starting point and checkpoint? In this case, it seems bad to
> return the timestamp of the checkpoint whenever there is no replay transaction,
> since the result timestamp would go back once at least one transaction has been
> replayed before reaching the checkpoint record.

Not sure I get this but it should probably be the highest timestamp value. The thing is, from my perspective, I need to
knowhow up to date the replica his. Perhaps we are trying to squeeze to much into "pg_last_xact_replay_timestamp()" and
anew function "pg_replication_timestamp()" is needed that would accurately tell me a simple information: The time is
waswhen the master db server was in the exact same state as this replication is right now.

> Regards,

Regards,
Gabi Julien