Re: Performance tuning in Pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rodger Donaldson
Subject Re: Performance tuning in Pgsql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 01:55:14AM -0700, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> OK, so the way I do this, is to locate my data directory.  On a stock
> Ubuntu machine that would be /var/lib/postgresql/8.4/main .  In that
> dir is a directory called pg_xlog, what we're looking for.  So, as
> root, I'd do:
>
> cd /var/lib/postgresql/8.4/main
> /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 stop
> mkdir /myothervolume/pg_xlog
> chown postgres.postgres /myothervolume/pg_xlog
> chmod 700 /myothervolume/pg_xlog
> cp -rf pg_xlog/* /myothervolume/pg_xlog
> mv pg_xlog pg_xlog_old
> ln -s /myothervolume/pg_xlog pg_xlog
> /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 start

Is there any particular reason that you're suggesting linking rather
than simply mounting the partition at
/var/lib/postgresql/8.4/main/pg_xlog (after copying the data across,
naturally)?

--
Rodger Donaldson        rodgerd@diaspora.gen.nz