BUG #5783: plpythonu bool behavior change - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Adrian Klaver
Subject BUG #5783: plpythonu bool behavior change
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      5783
Logged by:          Adrian Klaver
Email address:      adrian.klaver@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.1
Operating system:   Linux Ubuntu 10.04
Details:

Seems there was a change in behavior for plpythonu with regards to boolean
fields from 8.4 to 9.0. Previously, setting a field inside a plpythonu
function to "f" would work, now that returns a 't' in the database field. To
get the 'f' to appear I have to specify False inside the function.  The only
thing I can find in recent commits that would apply is:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=09130e5867d49c7
2ef0f11bef30c5385d83bf194

Below is test case that illustrates what I am seeing in 9.0.1:

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS plpython_type;
CREATE TABLE plpython_type
    (id integer,
    txt_fld text,
    bool_fld boolean
    );

DROP FUNCTION IF EXISTS plpython_test();
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION plpython_test()
    RETURNS trigger AS
$Body$
TD["new"]["bool_fld"] = "f"
return "MODIFY"
$Body$
LANGUAGE plpythonu;

CREATE TRIGGER plpython_trg
    BEFORE INSERT
    ON plpython_type
    FOR EACH ROW
    EXECUTE PROCEDURE plpython_test();

INSERT INTO plpython_type VALUES (1,'test');

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION plpython_test()
    RETURNS trigger AS
$Body$
TD["new"]["bool_fld"] = False
return "MODIFY"
$Body$
LANGUAGE plpythonu;

INSERT INTO plpython_type VALUES (2,'test');

SELECT * FROM plpython_type;

Result:

id | txt_fld | bool_fld
  1 | test    | t