using bytea data type - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Manasi Save
Subject using bytea data type
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi All,

I have a postgresql database which has many columns in different tables with bytea data type.

Can anyone provide me any input using the bytea data type for storing binary data provides how much benefit on performance as I have millions rows in a table using bytea data type also it is index. So how indexing really works on bytea columns?

As I have read in some forum mentioning that one should not use bytea data type. I really need to make my database really pro-efficient as right now I am facing major database performance issue.

any input will be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Manasi