Re: pgsql: Improve pg_ctl "cannot connect" warning, per suggestion from Mag - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pgsql: Improve pg_ctl "cannot connect" warning, per suggestion from Mag
Date
List pgsql-committers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 11/26/2010 10:04 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Normal according to what?  In any case translatable error strings are
> >> not supposed to attempt to do formatting, and formatting is what that
> >> looks like to me.
> > Well, wikipedia says perhaps two spaces:
> >
> >     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon
> >
> >     Semicolons are followed by a lower case letter, unless that letter is
> >     the first letter of a proper noun. They have no spaces before them, but
> >     one space after (possibly two when using monospaced fonts).
> >
> > but answers.com says only one:
> >
> >     http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_spaces_after_a_colon_and_semicolon
> >     After a semicolon, there is never more than one space.
> >
> > so I have changed it to once space, and also reworded it:
> >
> >     warning:  could not connect; might be caused by invalid authentication or
> >     misconfiguration.
> >
> > That wording seems to match other messages better, though I feel pg_ctl
> > seems to have sloppy output formatting in general.
> >

> We're not typesetting a document here. I tend to think that we shouldn't
> have multiple spaces anywhere, in which case we should also remove the
> extra space following "warning:" above. AFAICT we don't use multiple
> spaces anywhere in the backend messages, and we should be consistent
> about it.

Well, we use two space after an error label:

           __
    NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "test_x_seq" for
    serial column "test.x"

which I thought was what I was doing here.  Should it be upper-case
WARNING?  I am fine with one space but wanted to point out why I used
two.