insert from a select - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From John Fabiani
Subject insert from a select
Date
Re: insert from a select  (Carla <cgourofino@hotmail.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi,I have a strange issue that is mostly likely me not understanding something.
I always thought that an insert statement would accept any select statement.
I'm guessing I am wrong.

I have created a temporary table ("tempclass") that is exact match to an
existing table ('esclass').

When I attempt to do the following
insert into tempclass Select cl.pkid, cl.depart, cl.sessionid, cl.instrid,
cl.classseq,(select facility from esloc where esloc.pkid = cl.locationid) as
facility, cl.schedule from esclass cl where cl.pkid in (14507,14508)

I get the following error:

ERROR:  column "schedule" is of type date but expression is of type character
varying
LINE 1: ... cl.depart, cl.sessionid, cl.instrid, cl.classseq,(select fa...
             ^

HINT:  You will need to rewrite or cast the expression.

The error makes no sense to me.  But most important if I just run the select
statement it works perfectly.

Like I said the table "tempclass" (a temporary) is a dup of table "esclass" so
none of it makes sense.  Of course I did say I'm missing something.

So why isn't the select statement working with the insert?

Johnf