Re: Overriding local encoding defaults - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Leif Biberg Kristensen
Subject Re: Overriding local encoding defaults
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Sunday 17. October 2010 15.03.52 Bob McConnell wrote:
> I am trying to create a Pg 8.4 cluster with UTF8 encoding for JDBC
> access. But initdb insists that because my local console is en_US, it
> cannot do that. We're talking about setting up a server here. Why should
> it even care what the local console settings are? initdb and pg_ctl are
> the only commands that will ever be run through that console.
>
> Is there any way to force initdb to ignore the local environment and use
> UTF8?
>
> If not, how do I modify the local console to match the UTF8 requirement?
> This is on Slackware/64 13.1.0.

Don't know Slackware, but in Gentoo I've got a file /etc/env.d/02locale which
just says:

LC_ALL="nb_NO.UTF-8"

You should probably also set up your locales in the /etc/locale.gen and then
run the command locale-gen from root. At least that's how it's done in Gentoo.

Regards,
Leif Biberg Kristensen