Re: Question about PQexecParams - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Kenneth Marshall
Subject Re: Question about PQexecParams
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Steve,

I am going to follow-up to this post so that the results will
be available to other PostgreSQL users. Here is a simple
example program for binary transmission of an int8 array
using native libpq functions and not the libpqtypes:

-----------native_binarray_dspam.c------------------
/**** native_binarray_dspam.c*        Test out-of-line parameters and binary I/O for dspam using*              native
libpqfunctions.** Before running this, populate a database with the following commands* (provided in
src/test/examples/dspam.sql):**CREATE TABLE test1 (i int4, t text, b bigint);** INSERT INTO test1 values (1, 'joe''s
place',700508110938526354);* INSERT INTO test1 values (2, 'ho there', -8679563850315317972);** The expected output
is:**tuple 0: got*    i = (4 bytes) 1*    t = (11 bytes) 'joe's place'*    b = (5 bytes) 700508110938526354** tuple 0:
got*   i = (4 bytes) 2*    t = (8 bytes) 'ho there'*    b = (5 bytes) -8679563850315317972**  Here is the code for the
testversion of lookup_tokens():** create function lookup_tokens(bigint[])*  returns setof test1*  language plpgsql
stable*as '* declare*   v_rec record;* begin*   for v_rec in select * from test1*     where b in (select $1[i]*
fromgenerate_series(array_lower($1,1),array_upper($1,1)) s(i))*   loop*     return next v_rec;*   end loop;*   return;*
end;';**/
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include "libpq-fe.h"

/* for ntohl/htonl */
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <arpa/inet.h>

typedef struct testbinary
{int ti1; /* ndims for array */int ti2; /* array has NULLs */int ti3; /* OID for int8 */int ti4; /* numelem in array
*/intti5; /* lbound of array */int ti6; /* size of first int8 */long long da1; /* first long long element */int ti7; /*
sizeof second int8 */long long da2; /* second long long element */
} testbinary;

static void
exit_nicely(PGconn *conn)
{PQfinish(conn);exit(1);
}

/** This function prints a query result that is a binary-format fetch from* a table defined as in the comment above.
Wesplit it out because the* main() function uses it twice.*/
static void
show_binary_results(PGresult *res)
{int            i,            j;int            i_fnum,            t_fnum,            b_fnum;
/* Use PQfnumber to avoid assumptions about field order in result */i_fnum = PQfnumber(res, "i");t_fnum =
PQfnumber(res,"t");b_fnum = PQfnumber(res, "b");
for (i = 0; i < PQntuples(res); i++){    char       *iptr;    char       *tptr;    char       *bptr;    long long
    bval;    int            blen;    int            ival;
    /* Get the field values (we ignore possibility they are null!) */    iptr = PQgetvalue(res, i, i_fnum);    tptr =
PQgetvalue(res,i, t_fnum);    bptr = PQgetvalue(res, i, b_fnum);
    /*     * The binary representation of INT4 is in network byte order, which     * we'd better coerce to the local
byteorder.     */    ival = ntohl(*((uint32_t *) iptr));    bval = *((long long *) bptr);
    /*     * The binary representation of TEXT is, well, text, and since libpq     * was nice enough to append a zero
byteto it, it'll work just fine     * as a C string.     *     * The binary representation of BIGINT is a long long.
*/    printf("tuple %d: got\n", i);    printf(" i = (%d bytes) %d\n",           PQgetlength(res, i, i_fnum), ival);
printf("t = (%d bytes) '%s'\n",           PQgetlength(res, i, t_fnum), tptr);    printf(" b = (%d bytes) %lld\n",
   PQgetlength(res, i, b_fnum), bval);}
}

int
main(int argc, char **argv)
{const char *conninfo;PGconn       *conn;PGresult   *res;const char *paramValues[1];int            paramTypes[1];int
       paramLengths[1];int            paramFormats[1];uint32_t    binaryIntVal;testbinary    outdata;
/* * If the user supplies a parameter on the command line, use it as the * conninfo string; otherwise default to
settingdbname=postgres and using * environment variables or defaults for all other connection parameters. */if (argc >
1)   conninfo = argv[1];else    conninfo = "dbname = postgres";
/* Make a connection to the database */conn = PQconnectdb(conninfo);
/* Check to see that the backend connection was successfully made */if (PQstatus(conn) != CONNECTION_OK){
fprintf(stderr,"Connection to database failed: %s",            PQerrorMessage(conn));    exit_nicely(conn);}
/* * The point of this program is to illustrate use of PQexecParams() with * out-of-line parameters, as well as binary
transmissionof data. * * This first example transmits the parameters as text, but receives the * results in binary
format. By using out-of-line parameters we can avoid * a lot of tedious mucking about with quoting and escaping, even
though* the data is text.  Notice how we don't have to do anything special with * the quote mark in the parameter
value.*/
/* Here is our out-of-line parameter value */paramValues[0] = "joe's place";
res = PQexecParams(conn,                   "SELECT * FROM test1 WHERE t = $1",                   1,        /* one param
*/                  NULL,    /* let the backend deduce param type */                   paramValues,
NULL,   /* don't need param lengths since text */                   NULL,    /* default to all text params */
       1);        /* ask for binary results */
if (PQresultStatus(res) != PGRES_TUPLES_OK){    fprintf(stderr, "SELECT failed: %s", PQerrorMessage(conn));
PQclear(res);   exit_nicely(conn);}
show_binary_results(res);
PQclear(res);
/* * In this second example we transmit an integer parameter in binary form, * and again retrieve the results in binary
form.* * Although we tell PQexecParams we are letting the backend deduce * parameter type, we really force the decision
bycasting the parameter * symbol in the query text.  This is a good safety measure when sending * binary parameters. */
/* Convert integer value "2" to network byte order */binaryIntVal = htonl((uint32_t) 2);
/* Populate outdata */outdata.ti1 = 1;outdata.ti2 = 0;outdata.ti3 = 20; /* array contains int8 OID=20 */outdata.ti4 =
2; /* nelems */outdata.ti5 = 1;  /* lbound */outdata.ti6 = 8;  /* sizeof(int8) */outdata.da1 =
700508110938526354ll;outdata.ti7= 8;  /* sizeof(int8) */outdata.da2 = -8679563850315317972ll;
/* Set up parameter arrays for PQexecParams */paramTypes[0] = 1016; /* int8[] OID */paramValues[0] = (char *)
&outdata;paramLengths[0]= sizeof(outdata);paramFormats[0] = 1;        /* binary */
res = PQexecParams(conn,                   "SELECT * FROM lookup_tokens($1)",                   1,        /* one param
*/                  paramTypes,    /* int8[] OID */                   paramValues,                   paramLengths,
            paramFormats,                   1);        /* ask for binary results */
if (PQresultStatus(res) != PGRES_TUPLES_OK){    fprintf(stderr, "SELECT failed: %s", PQerrorMessage(conn));
PQclear(res);   exit_nicely(conn);}
show_binary_results(res);
PQclear(res);
/* close the connection to the database and cleanup */PQfinish(conn);
return 0;
}
-----------native_binarray_dspam.c------------------

Here is the command that I used to compile/link the program:

gcc -fpack-struct=4  -I /my/postgresql/include native_binarray_dspam.c -L/my/postgresql/lib -R/my/postgresql/lib -lpq

I needed to use the "-fpack-struct=4" option to keep the alignment
from being padded in the structure to 8 bytes, which messed up the
binary encoding of the array. Please let me know if you have any
questions.

Regards,
Ken

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 12:07:15PM +0200, Steve wrote:

> [...]
> > Betreff: Re: [SQL] Question about PQexecParams
>
> > Hey Steve,
> >
> > 2010/9/11 Steve <steeeeeveee@gmx.net>
> >
> > > Hello list,
> > >
> > > I would like to call a function from my C application by using libpq and
> > > PQexecParams. My problem is that I don't know how to specify that I want
> > > send an array to the function.
> > >
> > > Assume the function is called lookup_data and takes the following
> > > parameters: lookup_data(integer,integer,bigint[])
> > >
> > > I would like to specify the OID with my query. How would I do that?
> > Assume
> > > I would like to query 3 values for bigint:
> > >
> > > const char *paramValues[5];
> > > Oid paramTypes[5];
> > > int paramLengths[5];
> > > int paramFormats[5];
> > >
> > > int32_t ivalue1 = htonl(value1);
> > > paramValues[0]  = (char *)&ivalue1;
> > > paramTypes[0]   = INT4OID;
> > > paramLengths[0] = sizeof(ivalue1);
> > > paramFormats[0] = 1;
> > >
> > > int32_t ivalue2 = htonl(value2);
> > > paramValues[1]  = (char *)&ivalue2;
> > > paramTypes[1]   = INT4OID;
> > > paramLengths[1] = sizeof(ivalue2);
> > > paramFormats[1] = 1;
> > >
> > > etc...
> > >
> > > How would I tell libpq that the next 3 values are an array of bigint?
> > >
> > > I tried to use INT8OID and specify the query like below but that did not
> > > work:
> > > SELECT * FROM lookup_data($1,$2,{$3,$4,$5})
> > >
> > Incorrect.
> >

> > > Probably I have to set the query to be:
> > > SELECT * FROM lookup_data($1,$2,{$3})
> > >
> > Incorrect.
> >

> > > Or:
> > > SELECT * FROM lookup_data($1,$2,$3)
> > >
> > Correct.
> >
> Thanks.
>

> > You may specify a data type by OID (1016 for bigint[],
> > please refer to
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/catalog-pg-type.html
> > to obtain information about types) or attach an explicit cast to a
> > parameter symbol to force treating it as bigint[] (or any specified type),
> > e.g.
> > SELECT * FROM lookup_data($1, $2, $3::bigint[])
> >
> Thanks.
>

> > > But what would I set for paramTypes? How can I say that the values are
> > an
> > > array of bigint? I assume that I can set paramValues to be an array and
> > > paramLengths to be sizeof one value multiplied by the amount of elements
> > in
> > > the array.
> > >
> > Please note, that in this case, you must pass to paramValues[2] a textual
> > representation
> > of bigint[], e.g. '{1,2,3}'.
> > Its not necessary to specify a length of text-format parameters (its
> > ignored).
> > The length is essential only if you transmit data in a binary format.
> >
> Really? I must use a textual representation of the array? Why?
> I searched the Internet up and down and as far as I can tell, there is a possibility to send the array in binary. I
haveto add a special header to the array and do off course that host to network translation and then I can send the
arrayin binary. Unfortunately I can not find enough information about the format of the whole header + array. The
headerlooks to be easy to create (just 3 times 4 bytes for 1) number of dimensions (aka ndims), 2) if the array has
nullelements (aka hassnull), 3) array element oid (aka typeid. In my case INT8OID aka 20)) and then followed by the
contentof the array. And here I have a problem. I don't know how that data following the header should look like? I
thinkthat each value is in a block of 8 bytes (converted from host to network). But I am not sure (the examples I have
seenare all for int4 and not for bigint). I am confused by the two examples I have found so far. One of them is
dividingthose 8 bytes into two 4 bytes blocks and adds so
>  mething they call "dims" and "lbound". I have no clue what that is? I think the PostgreSQL function "array_recv()"
isresponsible for the format but I can not find any documentation about the format of a binary array representation.
Maybeyou know a place where I can read about how to send an array of int64_t to the PostgreSQL backend in binary?

> I know that I could go the textual representation path, but I really want to send the data in binary. And I don't
want/canlibpqtypes (which would btw make the task ultra easy).

> Maybe I can not see the forest because of the trees but I really can not find any documentation how to create a
correctstruct representing an array datatype. Can it be that this part is not documented at all?