Re: huge difference in performance between MS SQL and pg 8.3 on UPDATE with full text search - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Mason
Subject Re: huge difference in performance between MS SQL and pg 8.3 on UPDATE with full text search
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 02:35:09PM +0300, Allan Kamau wrote:
> I have access
> to a server running PG 8.4 on Ubuntu and I have noticed that after a
> day of intense use the PG slows down significantly, "free -g" reports
> almost no free memory available (something seems to leak memory on
> this Ubuntu box).

I'm not sure which values you're looking at in "free", but you generally
want there to be very little free memory--you want the memory to be used
for caching the disk.  As long as the cached data isn't "dirty" (i.e.
unwritten data) then it can be released very quickly and made available
for whatever is needed, or better serve as a useful cache.

Rebooting normally just hides other issues.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/